Installing The Theme
Download from TF
Upload to WP
Now you can upload the "Installable WordPress file only" or the zip file located in "All Files & Documentation". To do so please open your WordPress and click the menu where it says "Appearance" -> "Themes".
The goodweb.zip file is the file you want to upload if you go for the whole download.
After clicking "Install Now" the theme will be uploaded (may take a little while).
Then you can "Activate" it.
Plugins required or recommended for the theme are shown in a message box on top of every admin screen unless you install them :) or dismiss the message:
After clicking on one of the "Install Plugins" link shown above you see all available plugins in a table.
Here you can see which plugin is required (automatic installing is not possible due to security reasons, activation itself is automatic) or recommended. On hover you see the options you have with the plugin, basically "Install" and after that "Activate".
You can also use the "Bulk Actions" above the table to install and activate the plugins
Some plugins are bound to the theme and can only be used with it due to licensing terms. They will be deactivated when using other themes in this WP installation (RevSlider, Showbiz, FrontEnd Builder).
1. If you like some example content to see how things are done please go to the WP menu "Tools" | "Import" and choose Wordpress.
Customizing The Theme
The Theme Options are used to maintain certain parts of the theme in a quick fast way. Other design aspects should be handled via Child Themes and CSS customizations.
Find the settings here in the theme's customizer:
You can use the Customizer for all theme settings. For example:
- Switching between OnePager and MultiPager (General Layout)
- Setting the Logo (Header)
- Set the default background slider (Background)
- Turn on/off Related Posts for Blog/Portfolio (Related Posts/Projects)
- Set the main navigation (Navigation)
- Set Front and Blog pages (Static Front Page)
- Add you own (theme update independent) CSS hacks (Custom CSS)
The General Layout tab holds the main settings of the theme. You can choose if your theme :
- animates the items appearing on the page
- is a OnePager or MultiPager
- has a basic dark or light style (more advanced styling should be done via the Custom CSS box or a Child theme)
- has a fancy highlight color :)
- use a different Google Web font as standard font (this is not recommended though since spaces and other design aspects are optimized for the standard font)
The Static Front Page tab allows you to set the first page a user will see when visiting your URL. You can set the blog page here too but there is no need to actually since Goodweb blogs will work without this setting too.
Please note that if you build a OnePager you need to put the built page in here as Front Page.
The Navigation is to be set in this tab. Please make sure you have created a menu before in the "Appearance" / "Menus" section of your WP installation. Otherwise the standard menu from WP will be shown which is all build pages.
Please also note that the order of the OnePager is build by the menu chosen here.
Create OnePager Page
1. In theme's customizer tab "General Layout" you can switch between having an OnePager or a MultiPager theme.
The MultiPager works like you are used to with other themes. You can skip the next steps, maybe the part about setting the main navigation and the static front page is interesting for you.
If you switch to an OnePager please read the next steps too.
2. Next step is to go back to the customizer and select the menu you would like to hold your OnePager pages.
The pages/posts dropped into the selected menu are the ones that are displayed in the navigation and the OnePager content (unless you you force the item with the checkbox to be a single page, see later).
A "Home" menu item will be installed automatically unless you force it to not do so.
3. To use the created OnePager as standard page you can use the "Static Front Page" tab from the customizer.
You do not need to set the blog page here but can do.
4. The menu is maintained in the WP menu "Appearance" -> "Menus".
Each page you drag around the menu will be displayed at this position inside the OnePager.
Unless you set the manual checkbox to force it to be a Single Page. Custom external links will also be shown as Single Pages of course.
You can set a certain navigation to be the main navigation here too.
How to Videos
Pages are defined by its Page Template.
Depending on this Template choice the layout and the functions of the page will be defined. The second thing that influences the page are the page options that may vary depending on which Template you choose.
Special Page Templates Blog, Portfolio and OnePager will be described later.
Blog Page & Defaults
First of all you have to create a page with a corresponding page template.
You can set several options in the theme's customizer that concern the output of the Blog Overview and Single Post view.
Please note that you need to have the Showbiz plugin installed if you want to use the Related Posts Feature.
Single Posts can be of different Post Formats. The options vary from the format you choose.
A featured image will be displayed in the Blog Overview if choosen (except you choose Video post format and do not force to display the featured image).
First of all you should build Categories to put the Portfolio items in, these Categories are used to build unlimited portfolio pages:
Portfolio Items are added and edited like normal post items (with corresponding post formats) in the Portfolio menu:
Portfolio Item Options
The portfolio post has apart from its content a lot of options too.
You must define the featured image here and of which format the portfolio post is. Depending on this format different options will appear.
You could also set values that could overwrite the default values set in the theme's customizer here.
Please do not forget to add the portfolio post to at least one category to have the filter functionality.
Now you can create a new page and select the page templates "Portfolio" and choose layout options.
Most important the Categories to display on this page along with some other options.
You also set how many Portfolio items you want to have displayed on page at a time at most and how much in a row.
The Image Lock height crops the images to certain height. Please keep in mind that that height is to be calculated as if the images were 570px wide.
You can choose whether you want to include a Lightbox too. If so we offer you the possibility to use an autoplay gallery feature.
The "Display Page Content" determines the postion of the normal page content. Above the portfolio filter or below the portfolio pagination.
Slider Items Overview
You can now select the slider in the Customizer as default background or in pages/posts/projects as head slider:
Start the Frontend Builder
Frontend Builder Editor
Frontend Builder Elements
Localization / Wording
This theme comes with .mo and .po files and is ready for localization! Note that most of the steps that lead to a localized theme are not related to this theme specifically but are general information.
You can use qTranslate, poEdit, WPML, CodeStyling Localization (to name a few) to translate the theme.
You could for example install the free plugin "CodeStyling Localization" which makes localizing and adding new languages very comfortable:
Example Codestyling Localization
On this page you can get a link for your language that allows you to download files that turn your wordpress installation (the non theme files) into your desired language. You need the .mo and .po files for your language (Example link for german version here)
There core wordpress .mo and .po files you downloaded go into your wp-content/languages folder.
In the root of your wordpress installation you will find the wp-config.php file. Open it and change define ('WPLANG', ''); to reflect your country language code, e.g.: define ('WPLANG', 'de_DE');.
After going to the localization plugin...
...you will see the theme when you scroll down. You can customize the available languages (Deutsch/English) or add your own language.
After adding a new language, hit "Rescan" so the plugin can go through the theme files and get all the custom language fields.
Clicking "Edit" you can then translate those language fields.
» Settings » General
...you can also set the themes "Time Format" which is used throughout the theme.
Images in Content
So far we only can think of a workaround like this :(
1. Edit the image in the Media Library http://screencast.com/t/amSXZg7DHm
2. Copy URL http://screencast.com/t/xLX1BzQm
3. Insert the html tag with the src in the editor http://screencast.com/t/hMAMV7qN , be sure to switch back to "Visual" before you "Submit".
Or you can use the Image element http://screencast.com/t/EZuTgZfQOE2 when the image can be seperated from the text content.
- Bugfix: Old RevSlider breaks the theme
- Bugfix: Frontend Assembler Editor white out Element Bar
Files: "All Files & Documentation" download -> plugin_updates/frontend_builder.zip (deactivate & delete old version and upload this zip)
- Bugfix: Related Posts Portfolio
- Bugfix: more than one menu -> highlighting error
- Bugfix: IE Styling
- Bugfix: Load More in Blog Localized
- Bugfix: Only down Arrow 1 Pic Slider
- BugFix: Left/Right/Down Button Click on Mobile Devices fixed
- BugFix: Showbiz Items un-needed Animation turned off, if less items must be shown then Spaces exist
- Feature: Auto Rotate of Background Images
- Updates: Showbiz / RevSlider
Files: plugin_updates/showbiz.zip and revslider.zip
- Horizontal Menu Highlight Color Fix
Update: style.css, functions/theme_customizer.php
- "Home/No Home in Menu" Switch
- Portfolio Filter fixed (no filtering when specific categories were selected)
- Plugin Updates (RevSlider 4.1 , Showbiz 1.4.1)
Update: download "All Files&Documentation" from ThemeForest, inside plugins_update folder you find the plugin files, please note that the included plugins are only licensed for the use inside Goodweb
- Optional Horizontal Menu
Update: style.css, css folder, js/screen.js, header.php, functions/theme_options/theme_customizer_header.php
- Sticky Nav for Mobile
Update: style.css, css folder, js/screen.js, header.php
- One Slide in Background Slider = No Navigation Arrows
Update: style.css, js/screen.js, header.php
- WordPress 3.7 Bug in Frontend Assembler Plugin
Update: download "All Files&Documentation" from ThemeForest, inside plugins_update folder lies the frontend_builder_class.php, upload it to wp-content/plugins/frontend_builder folder overwriting the existing frontend_builder_class.php